Sunday, September 8, 2013

Battling unproductivity - social media lost!

My first big step towards better cleanliness and organization has been a doozy. Since my son was been born a year and a half ago I have been struggling to learn how to juggle a child, a house and a husband. I made a huge step a couple weeks ago that has changed my life and freed up so much of my time to spend on more productive things. What was it? *drum roll* I deleted my Facebook. Yes, it was really hard the first day or two and I may have mistakenly replaced my Facebook addiction with another site or two for a couple days without realizing, but I have been spending my time much more wisely now.

The first two real "off the internet days" I kept myself very busy! By busy I mean I cleaned every room in our three bedroom apartment, including the dreaded master bathroom, and completed about ten loads of laundry. I was doing my best not to relapse back to my usual habit of "taking a short break" on the internet for three hours, so when I got bored I cleaned something. Even after all that I still cooked dinner, woah! At the end of those two days I was tired and sore! Let's just say I don't recommend it. So if you plan on tackling a big project, I suggest taking it one step at a time.

What I do recommend is stepping back and evaluating how you spend your time. If you are feeling like there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything, try and figure out what is taking your time each day right down to each half hour to fifteen minute increment. Think about each item you come up with and evaluate if it is truly important, meaningful or productive and decide if you will keep it. When I did that I realized that the time I was spending on Facebook wasn't going to mean anything in one, two, or twenty years. I decided I didn't want my son to remember a messy house, PB&J lunches and randomly thrown together meals just because I liked to pass my time on the internet. I didn't realize how much precious time I was wasting on the internet until I wasn't. 

Now don't get me wrong, I am not anti social media, heh, no pun intended. I think there are many women who can balance their time well enough that a short time on Facebook won't take away from their family or house, I'm am just not one of them. Maybe one day I will be able to find that balance, maybe not. But until then I know that I am spending my time more wisely than I used to.

Do you feel like you are wasting a lot of time on social media? What other things take your time away from your house or family? Have you been able to change your routines and habits to find that you had much more time than you though?

No comments:

Post a Comment